The POSNA-POGO International Scholar Program was initiated in 2007 to provide educational opportunities for emerging leaders who treat children with orthopaedic conditions in resource challenged environments worldwide. Financial support is available each year for 4-6 orthopaedic surgeons to attend either the POSNA Annual Meeting or the International Pediatric Orthopaedics Symposium (IPOS®). The scholars also visit selected centers for observerships during their trip.
Scholar Applicant Eligibility
- Be a practicing orthopaedic surgeon in an underserved region
- Be directly involved in the care of children with orthopedic problems
- Have a need for financial support
- Identify a sponsoring POSNA member
- Agree to complete a feedback form regarding his/ her experience as a POGO scholar
- Past scholarship winners are not eligible to apply again for 8 years
- International Educational Scholarship Application
- Sponsor Form
- Recommendation Form
(NOTE: Application requires 2 recommendation forms)
- Submit completed application, photo, personal accomplishments, essay, sponsor form and (2) recommendation forms by the deadline.
- Have Visitor VISA for USA well ahead of time. POSNA will not book air flight until documentation of visa is receive.
- Coordinate for post meeting observership with POSNA sponsor.
- Coordinate travel plan/hotel for POSNA or IPOS® meeting with POSNA office staff. Applicant is responsible for covering all expenses above that of the scholarship amount (Maximum US $2,500).
- For scholars attending the POSNA Annual Meeting, present interesting cases or topic of interest for discussion/advise for small group discussion session at the POGO Symposium (Thursday afternoon).
- Complete post scholarship evaluation within two months of attending the POSNA/IPOS® meeting to POSNA office. Certificate will be sent once evaluation form is received.