Grant Recipient: Shawn R Gilbert, MD
- Children's Hospital of Alabama
- Presentations & Publications:
- Presentations: 1. Diet Induced Obesity Alters Bone Formation Following Tibial Osteotomy (ePoster), Gilbert SR, Backstrom I, Eberhardt AE. Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America, 2012, Denver, Colorado. 2. Increasing Vascularity to Improve Healing of Segmental Defects. Gilbert SR, Goldstein J, Chu TMG, Stewart RL. 57th Annual Meeting Orthop Res Soc, 2011, Long Beach, CA. 3. “Promoting angiogenesis to improve bone healing” Invited alumni research presentation at 40th Annual Raney Visiting Professorship (UNC Orthopaedic Residency), Chapel Hill, NC May 21, 2011. Publications: 1. An Evaluation of Carrier Agents for Desferoxamine, an Up-Regulator of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor. Hertzberg BP, Graff RD, Gilbert SR, Joshua B. Holt JB, Dahners LE. J Biomaterials Applications 2012 Jan 19. [Epub ahead of print] PMID 22262572 2. Increasing Vascularity to Improve healing of a Segmental Defect of the Rat Femur. Stewart R, Goldstein J, Eberhardt A, Gabriel Chu GT, Gilbert S. J Orthop Trauma 25(8):472-6, 2011. PMID: 21738061
- Further Funding:
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America, 6/1/2014-5/31/2015, $30,000, Effects of Obesity on the Physis; Role: PI; DOD OR090206, 2010-2013, $586,000, Promoting Angiogenesis in Contaminated Open Fractures, Role: PI
- Additional Information:
- At the time I received the St. Giles award, it was a more of a career development award rather than directed to a single project. The award was used to support travel to enhance collaboration and to support development of a new project – physeal effects of obesity, as well as bridge to new funding in angiogenesis related projects. Travel included a trip to Dallas to enhance collaboration with Harry Kim and present my work at their research conference (“Promoting angiogenesis to improve bone healing” Invited lecture, Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas, TX. October 2, 2009). In addition, funds were used to purchase a dissecting microscope. The listed presentations/papers could be viewed as related.