||Up to $30,000 total
||1-2 years (Proposal budgets should be detailed with this in mind)
||Award is to be used by a young investigator to help promote a long term research career for that individual.
The first Angela S.M. Kuo Memorial Award was presented at the 2003 annual meeting. Through the OREF, Dr. Ken Kuo established an endowment fund with a challenge grant in memory of his late wife, Angel. The current objective of the award is to provide recognition of an outstanding young investigator who is a member of POSNA, and to provide funds to help promote a long-term research career for that individual.
||The grant application will be evaluated based on the following criteria: significance, impact, relevance to POSNA mission, originality/innovation, scientific quality of the proposed study, investigator(s) track record, feasibility, and potential for future funding. Applicants may apply for both the Angela S.M. Kuo Memorial and one of the POSNA Awards (Quality, Safety, Value Grant, Arthur H. Huene Memorial or St. Giles Young Investigator) but must complete the grant application, check the box for the award they qualify for, and submit any other items required for that specific award.
- Applicants should be 45 years of age or younger and an Active or Candidate-Active member of POSNA.
- The award recipient will be primarily chosen on the merit of their submitted research proposal. In addition, past research accomplishments and future research potential will also be considered in the decision of this award.
- Applicant must be an orthopaedic surgeon who is licensed to practice in the United States or Canada and working at an institution in the U.S. or Canada. Non-orthopaedic surgeon MDs, PhDs, or DVMs cannot be considered for this award.
- The applicant is required to submit a formal grant application outlining the research question(s), significance of the project, research methods, expected results, and timeline of completion of the project. This work may be basic science, clinical, spine, or non-spine related.
- In order to be considered for the Kuo Award, the applicant must check the Kuo Award box on the grant application and provide the required additional materials (see below). Applicants may apply for one of the research grants and one of the POSNA awards, but must check both on the grant application.
- The Kuo Award will be adjudicated by the POSNA Research Committee.
- Kuo Award Required Additional Materials:
- Current curriculum vitae with a statement about career goal
- A letter of support from a POSNA member (other than applicant) is required